Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter in Edinburgh

Hello!

I have returned from my Easter weekend in Edinburgh, it was a fantastic weekend.

The city is beautiful and I was treated with great weather, a bit windy but a bit of sun each day.

I did see some snow however. Thankfully it was off in the nearby mountains! I enjoyed sightseeing around the city via a bus tour.

Main sights of the city included the Royal Yacht Britannica and the Queen's Official residence in Scotland, Hollyrood Palace.

My hotel was right off the Royal Mile, a road which connects Hollyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle. It is of course about a mile long and is a very busy place with many shops and tourists.

The architecture of the city is magnificent! The buildings reflect many time periods with amazing decoration and detail.

I toured around Edinburgh Castle taking in the Medieval Castle and views of the city. The castle is situated on top of a tall hill and looks very much like a fortress. In side the castle there are many exhibitions, including the Scottish Royal Jewels and Scottish Military History.

Just walking down the street in Edinburgh is an experience, there are bagpipers everywhere so your journey has a very Scottish soundtrack!

On Easter Sunday I decided to do some thing active and climb to the top of Aurthur's Seat. It is the stump of an ancient volcano in the middle of the city. I saw it on my first day and it looked very majestic. There was a path leading up to the top so no heavy duty rock climbing for me! The views at the top were breathtaking. I could see the whole city, the sea, the mountains, and the far off countryside. I could also see an approaching rain storm.

As I began my way down the clouds opened up. With rain and wind the path became very slippery. Not wanting to fall off the side I took my time one rock step at a time!

Overall it was a great trip! Pictures to come soon!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment